Installing, updating and administering
Zextras Suite is natively integrated with Zimbra and doesn’t change any element of it but, instead, it supports and boosts all the included functions.
Zextras Suite uses the ZAL (Zimbra Abstraction Layer), an open source library developed and maintained by Zextras and integrated by Zimbra into Community and Network versions. Moreover, it is independent from both S/O and Zimbra version in use.
The installation process is easy and doesn’t require any particular knowledge nor training.
The installer is capable to download from Zextras site the latest updated version, as well as download the latest compatible ZAL. There exist one core package and several zimlets, each one targeting a different Zextras functionality:
- zextras.jar package contains core Zextras components
- zal.jar package contains the updated ZAL library downloaded from openzal.org
- zextras zimlet contains the admin extension necessary to manage the Zextras Module
- client zimlet contains the main web client extension
- chat zimlet contains the webchat and the Team interface
- docs zimlet contains the docs integration
- drive zimlet contains the new Drive interface
- conf package contains the Zextras cluster configuration
Zextras Suite configuration is managed by a dedicated engine separated from the main Zimbra LDAP. That assures the maximum portability and independence as well as it guarantees that the original installation won’t make any modification.
Moreover, configurations can be preserved after a new installation of Zimbra, as it happens after a version’s updating.
Zextras functionalities are accessible the same way Administrator access the Zimbra ones: trough the web interface, using a dedicated Zextras Suite wrapper command.
The Administrator can easily integrate Zxsuite into shell scripts, thanks to the supported JSON output and dedicated exit status code.
Moreover, Zextras Suite can act over remote servers thanks to the proprietary ZxLink protocol that permits different servers to communicate and be synchronized in a secure way.